Separating or Getting Divorced? 6 Things You Need To Know To Prevent Spiralling Into Bad Credit- Tip 1

What can you do during this difficult time to protect your credit file and avoid getting a bad credit history? Over the next month Fair Go Finance will expose many pitfalls and provide 6 helpful tips to help those entering this difficult time. Our first tip addresses the very distressing event when one person is forced or chooses to move out.

Tip ONE: One person moves out – So who pays the rent/mortgage?

Often one partner will temporarily move out of the communal home. In this situation you must discuss and both be clear on how the mortgage or rent is going to be paid during this time.
First, whether it is a home you mortgaged or a rental property, you must confirm who is legally responsible for the payments. If the mortgage or rental agreement is only in one person’s name, then that person is solely “legally” responsible for ensuring the mortgage/rent payment is made on time. This is because you have solely signed the mortgage papers or rental agreement – the other partner is not legally required to contribute anything and therefore will not have their credit file affected if payments are missed. If the mortgage or rental agreement is in joint names, then both of you are accountable for the timely payment and must ensure this is done.
IF YOU DONT: If you both intentionally avoid payment, the Bank or Property Agent will notify a credit reporting agency (such as Equifax) that you have missed the payment. This could result into your credit history turning into bad credit history.
This credit reporting agency will then update your credit file with a default listing which is then available to be seen by anyone that you approach for credit/loan or service in the future. This type of default will be permanently recorded for 5 years on your credit report and will cause road blocks each time you try to obtain any type of loan or credit facility.
BE RESPONSIBLE: If you establish it is your sole legal responsibility to make payment, then immediately work on how you can ensure the payment is on time. Contact the bank or property agent to make them aware of the situation as you may be able to work out a different payment arrangement (for example your housing loan may be in surplus so you may be able to temporarily reduce the size of the mortgage payment.) If the other partner won’t contribute and is not legally responsible to make the payment then you will need to address this separately via lawyers or the division of other assets. The most important issue at hand is that the rent or mortgage payment is made. Make this your key focus.
Our next tip will look at credit cards and the very important pitfalls you need to be aware of….
Need up to $10,000?

Related Articles

Related Articles

managing bills and loans

Three tax tips to know before lodging your return

Do you ever work from home? Or use your home internet or personal phone for work purposes? Perhaps you’ve been doing some extra work as an Uber driver or renting

Read More
FairGo Finance Blog Header

4 Smart Ways to Revitalize Your Pipeline

Has 2014 started a little slow for your business? Using this quieter time to plan and organise the following strategies will set the groundwork for revitalizing your most important asset,

Read More
FairGo Finance Blog Header

Do you have a short term cash problem and need a loan?

By Paul | Monday, January 1, 0001 Applying for a loan Do you have a short-term cash problem? Don’t worry, you are not alone. Every day there are Aussies struggling

Read More

Are you eligible to apply?


It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.

Check your options before you borrow:
For more information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor.

Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan.
If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink.

The Australian Government’s MoneySmart Website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.

* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.